The most common cause of laptops breaking down and stopping working altogether is due to overheating.
Overheating can cause the internals of a laptop to operate far beyond their capacities and eventually one of the internal components will burn out.
If this happens, the repair cost will most likely amount to 100s of pounds. It may be that it is uneconomical to repair an old laptop if it suffers this problem.
How to prevent overheating?
In some laptops, the overheating is due to a design issue and is hard to prevent, but it can be mitigated by taking the following steps:
- Avoid smoking
- Ensure all the laptop vents are clear of obstructions
- Do not use the laptop on a Sofa/Pillow/Cushion
- Ensure the laptop is completely switched off before putting it in your bag
- If rubber feet are missing, try and replace them as this helps create a gap between the base of the laptop and its surface
- Invest in a good quality laptop stand
- Get the internals of your laptop fully services from a professional laptop repair company. The service should include not just cleaning the fan from the outside, but the internal components such as CPU and memory.
If you need assistance with your overheating laptop, please call us immediately.